Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Taquitos 2 Ways

This is definitely not a pretty picture for these taquitos but I just made them real quick before going over to a friends for a "whine and wine night" (talk about fun!). I figured I should probably feed the family so I made these up before I left. Both recipes are put together the same way and use some of the same ingredients.
(top 5 are the vegetarian ones-I stole one to try)
Baked Chicken Taquitos

What you need:
  • 3 cups shredded roasted chicken (I used 2 chicken breasts that I had boiled and shredded before hand)-1/4 of a package that was $9.58=$2.40
  • 1 tsp ground cumin-on hand
  • 1/2 tsp salt-on hand
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder-on hand
  • 1 cup shredded mexican cheese (I use pepper jack)-$6.13 for 18 oz  ($1.36 for 4 oz used) 
  • 12 corn tortillas-$1.78 for 30 (I used the rest for another recipe)=$.71
  • cooking spray (I used 1 tbsp olive oil)-on hand
  • toppings of your choice, such as guacamole, sour cream or salsa (not included in calorie count)-didn't use
Total is $4.47 or $.37 each
Vegetarian Baked Taquitos 
What you need:
  • 1/2 cup cooked black beans-I've started buying the bagged dry beans, they are less expensive and you know what is in them- this is about 1/4 of a bag which is $.98=$.25
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels-I had these on hand but you can get a small bag for $1.00=$.25
  • 1 cup shredded mexican cheese (I used pepper jack)-$6.13 for 18 oz  ($1.36 for 4 oz used) 
  • 1 tsp ground cumin-on hand
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder-on hand
  • 1/2 tsp salt-on hand
  • 12 corn tortillas (I used 6)-$1.78 for 30 (I used the rest for another recipe)=$.36
  • cooking spray (I used 1 tbsp olive oil)-on hand
Calories and total price are for 6 servings=$2.22 or $.37 each


I learned real quick to NOT skip the step of warming up the corn tortillas in the microwave with some wet paper towels. If you skip that step your tortillas will break all up. (Thus only using 6 for the Vegetarian ones, that's all I had left!)

I also brushed the tops with a little bit of olive oil since I don't use cooking spray

These would be really great for a party. Nice and inexpensive and not too high on the calories. I tried one of each and they were both great!

No comments:

Post a Comment