Thursday, September 11, 2014

Eggplant and Mozzarella Melt

I had an eggplant in my food box and wanted to try another fun recipe and this looked really good!


Eggplant Mozzarella Melt

What you need:

  • 2 eggs-$.26
  • salt and pepper-on hand
  • 3/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs (I used whole wheat Italian)-I had this on hand but the bread crumbs are around $2.50 a container-I'll say $1.25
  • olive oil for baking sheet-on hand
  • 1 medium eggplant-$1.78
  • 1 loaf of soft Italian bread-$1.48
  • 2 cups store bought tomato sauce-$.56
  • 8 ounces mozzarella cheese-$3.48 for 16oz=$1.74

This is one of those recipes where you go to figure out the calorie count and it's a bit more difficult. How many calories is that loaf of bread? It didn't have a calorie count on the package since it was from the bakery area. I ended up just estimating it at 800 calories and using a break down that was already in Lose It. I made it 10 servings because 4? Way too big of a serving.

Total cost=$7.07 or $.71 a slice


This turned out good but a little bland. I think if you took this idea but used the tomato sauce mixture from this recipe it would have a lot more flavor. I think this would be good for a family potluck or with a big pot of Minestrone soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment